If you are in search for a faster and better way to brighten your smile, professional teeth whitening may be what you are looking for. Teeth whitening is one of the most commonly used cosmetic dental procedure because it’s a very simple treatment that delivers fast and visible results.
Teeth whitening is performed to lighten the natural color of your teeth and make it look brighter and whiter. There are many factors behind teeth discoloration and with professional teeth whitening, there is no need to remove any of your teeth’s natural surface or enamel. This is a procedure that can produce effective results in just a matter of one visit.
There are many contributing factors behind teeth discoloration, some of them are the following:
• Consumption of dark colored food and beverages such as coffee, wine, tea and soda
• Cigarette and tobacco smoking
• Poor oral hygiene
The types of stains related to teeth are the following:
• Extrinsic stains. These are the types of stains that can be found on the surfaces of your teeth and are typically caused by smoking cigarette and tobacco, and eating and drinking of dark colored food such as tea, wine, soda and coffee. These can just be normally removed by brushing and dental cleaning, however, there are times when a bleaching is really required in order to get rid of these stains. It is important to get these stains addressed early or you find it more difficult to get them remove in the long run.
• Intrinsic stains. These are the stains that are found on the interior or the underlying structure of the teeth and are normally caused by trauma, aging, exposure to substances like tetracycline and too much ingestion of fluoride. These stains used to be very difficult to address, however, with the help of cosmetic dentistry, it is now a lot easier to get these things removed especially if professional teeth whitening treatment is performed.
Teeth whitening can be performed in many different methods but the most commonly used methods are the following.
1. In office teeth whitening
This procedure is performed in a dental office and the most preferred and recommended method. In this type of treatment, stronger agents are being used in order to deliver effective visible results. The dentist makes sure that your teeth and gums are well protected from the substances used in order to protect you from experiencing teeth sensitivity. Professional teeth whitening can make your teeth visibly whiter in just a matter of one hour.
In an in-office teeth whitening, the dentist would normally recommend or prescribe a take home teeth whitening to ensure long term results. Teeth whitening can cause potential teeth discoloration but your dentist knows how to handle these issues very well. This can make your teeth brilliant and bright especially when coupled with proper oral care.
2. Over the counter teeth whitening systems.
The teeth whitening systems that can be bought over the counter are becoming more popular because of the fact that they are easy to use and are not costly. Some of the whitening products that are just commercially available and can just be purchased without the dentist’s prescription are whitening strips, mouth trays with gel, paint on tooth gels, whitening gums and whitening toothpaste. These are also safe and effective to use but if you feel uncertain, you can always consult your dentist.
To ensure long lasting effects of the treatment, here are some tips that you can follow:
• Maintain good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly. These habits can help in making your teeth clean for the succeeding weeks and months even after you have already had the treatment.
• The teeth whitening procedures will still continue even after the session with your dentist so you have to be patient and continue to observe the results.
• Instead of drinking from a glass directly, use a straw. This will help your teeth from getting in contact with the beverages especially the dark colored ones.
• If your dentist has provided you with a take home teeth whitening system, make sure that you utilize it in order for you to be able to maintain your white smile.
If you want to schedule an appointment for teeth whitening, you can call Altima Dental Group of West Kendall at (305) 224-6140, or visit us at 16371 SW 88th Street Miami, FL 33196.